This course reviews the ICD-10-CM Chapter 3 categories (D50-D89) and ICD-10-CM terminology as it relates to diseases of the Blood and Blood-forming Organs and Certain Disorders involving the Immune Mechanism. This course will prepare the learner in coding diseases involving the blood-forming organs and disorders of the immune mechanism.
Lesson 1: Anatomy and Physiology
- Match blood cell types to their functions
- Identify the elements that play a role in blood clotting
Lesson 2: Code Structure and Format
- Identify categories of diseases contained in the chapter for blood and blood-forming organs
- Recognize the blood types that are codeable in ICD-10-CM
Lesson 3: Anemias
- Distinguish between nutritional, hemolytic, and aplastic anemias
- Sequence anemia secondary to neoplasms and other conditions
Lesson 4: Conditions Affecting the Blood and Immunity
- Identify situations in which patients with disseminated intravascular coagulation will have codes from chapters other than Chapter 3
- Determine when to use codes in subcategory D68.3-, Hemorrhagic disorder due to circulating anticoagulants
This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) AAPC for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.