This course will present the fundamentals necessary to apply codes for diagnoses of the endocrine system as well as disorders of nutrition and metabolism as found in Chapter 4 of ICD-10-CM. This course is comprised of four lessons including an overview of the endocrine system, nutrition and metabolism; ICD-10-CM coding in the endocrine, nutritional, and metabolic systems; certain diseases of endocrine, metabolism, and nutrition; and ICD-10-CM coding practice.
Lesson 1: Overview of the Endocrine System
- Identify the functions of the pancreas
- Identify the six essential nutrients for proper nutrition
Lesson 2: Coding in the Endocrine Systems
- Identify when to use an additional endocrine code for patients with neoplasms
- Assign default codes for nonspecific conditions
Lesson 3: Endocrine, Nutrition, & Metabolic Diseases
- Determine the code category for postoperative thyroidectomy status
- Use coding guidelines to assign combination diabetes and diabetic completions codes
- Identify when codes for overweight and obesity are reportable
This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.