This course introduces the ICD-10-CM code set, coding format and structure, and general coding conventions. This course also provides an overview of the history and background of ICD-10, and a thorough review of the coding guidelines for ICD-10-CM.
Lesson 1: Background of ICD-10-CM
- Understand the development of ICD-10-CM
- State the parties responsible for the ICD-10-CM
- List the facility types that utilize ICD-10-CM
Lesson 2: Structure and Guidance
- Identify four parts of the Alphabetic Index
- Understand the Guidelines and Conventions of ICD-10-CM
- Locate the electronic files
Lesson 3: Digging Deeper into the Structure
- Outline the ICD-10-CM code format and structure
- Understand how to use Excludes1 and Excludes2 notes
AHIMA This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.