This course will present an overview of ICD-10-CM Chapter 5 for Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental Disorders. This course covers disorders due to known physiological conditions, disorders due to psychoactive substance use, Schizophrenia and Mood Disorders, and finally Stress-Related and Other Disorders. This course will also highlight pertinent information about mental disorders, coding structure, and official guidelines that will help you with ICD-10-CM coding.
Lesson 1: Overview of Mental Disorders
- Identify the code blocks and structure of the Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental Disorder chapter
- Identify at least 3 key coding concepts
- List the topics covered in the Official ICD-10-CM Guidelines
Lesson 2: Disorders Due to Known Physiological Conditions (F01-F09)
- Identify underlying physiological conditions that may cause certain mental disorders
- Apply sequencing guidelines for codes for mental disorders and their underlying physiological conditions
- Identify proper documentation to support related conditions
Lesson 3: Disorders Due to Psychoactive Substance Abuse (F10-F19)
- Describe the conditions covered in the psychoactive substance code block (F10-F19)
- Describe substance-related mental disorder codes
- Identify components of substance use codes Combination codes Level of use – use, abuse, or dependence Specific substances Blood alcohol levels Remission, intoxication, and withdrawal
- Use the ICD-10 official guidelines to assign correct substance-related codes to coding scenarios
Lesson 4: Schizophrenia and Mood Disorders (F20-F39)
- Describe important features and code structure
- Apply Excludes1 and Excludes2 notes correctly
Lesson 5: Stress-Related and Other Disorders (F40-F99)
- Describe codes and features for some commonly coded stress-related and other disorders
- Use the official ICD-10-CM coding guideline for pain disorders associated with physiological conditions to assign the correct codes for pain disorders
AHIMA This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.