This course reviews nervous system diagnosis codes that are assigned from chapter 6 of the ICD-10-CM, Categories G00-G99. By the completion of the course, the learner will be able to identify the anatomy, function, structure and common diseases and disorders of the nervous system. Given clinical case studies, the learner will be able to correctly assign ICD-10-CM codes for the diseases of the nervous system.
Lesson 1: Anatomy and Function of the Nervous System
- Differentiate between the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Identify the cranial nerves by number
Lesson 2: Chapter 6 Structure and Format
- Determine dominancy and laterality for certain neurological conditions
- Apply pain disorder guidelines to case scenarios
Lesson 3: Categories G00-G47
- Determine the chapters in ICD-10-CM where meningitis is classified
- Identify behavioral disturbances associated with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Select terms that are synonymous with intractable in relation to epileptic conditions
- Code a scenario involving hemiplegia
AHIMA This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.