This course covers the factors influencing health status, also known as Z codes. This includes the codes for diagnostic and screening services, health history and status, and other healthcare encounters for healthy individuals. This course also reviews the structure and format of Z codes, which are found in ICD-10-CM, Chapter 21.
Lesson 1: Chapter 21 Structure and Format
- Understand the structure of the Z code chapter
- List 2 reasons for utilizing Z codes in ICD-10-CM
Lesson 2: Evaluation and Therapy
- Differentiate between screening and diagnostic examinations and encounters
- Identify encounters as aftercare vs. follow-up
- Determine when to use Z codes for routine, administrative, and observation services
Lesson 3: Informational Z Codes
- Identify the difference between history and status codes
- Recognize the categories and codes for history and status in ICD-10-CM
Lesson 4: Other and Unspecified Z Codes
- Apply specific codes for noncompliance with medications and medical treatment
- Identify codes that can only be sequenced as principal or first-listed diagnosis
AHIMA This program has been approved for 2 continuing education units for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 2 continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.