This two part course begins by providing the learner with the information needed to code the most common procedures associated with the gastrointestinal system. In this course, we will give you an introduction to coding procedures of the mouth and throat, hepatobiliary system, and pancreas.
Lesson 1: Digestive System
- Identify the salivary glands
- Identify portions of the gastrointestinal system
- Label a diagram of the hepatobiliary and pancreatic systems
Lesson 2: Gastroenterology Code Structure and Format
- Identify the four body systems in the Medical and Surgical section where GI procedures are located
- Select the approach character value for procedures performed via open technique with percutaneous endoscopic assistance
Lesson 3: Procedures on the Mouth & Throat
- Distinguish between the root operations Alteration and Repair
- Assign codes for tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy
AHIMA This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.