This course will cover 31 root operations associated with the medical and surgical section of ICD 10 PCS. This is the biggest section of the book and knowledge of the root operations is vital to code assignment. This course is organized into four lessons and will cover the root operations in groups or categories of similar types of procedures.
Lesson 1: Procedures that take out some or all of a body part
- Identify the purpose of the nine root operation categories
- Differentiate between root operations Excision and Resection
- Identify the methods used to accomplish Destruction
- Define the term “ray”
- Apply the definitions of the terms, high, mid, low, partial, and complete
- Identify examples of procedures associated with Extraction
Lesson 2: Procedures that take out solids, fluids or gases
- Differentiate between the root operations: Drainage, Extirpation, Fragmentation
Lesson 3: Procedures involving cutting or separation only
- Differentiate between the root operations: Division, Release
- Identify the type of structure that is separated when the root operation release is performed
Lesson 4: Procedures put in, on, back or move
- Identify Transplantation Procedures
- Differentiate between the root operations: Reattachment, Transfer, Reposition
- Apply PCS code assignment principles to build PCS codes
This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.