This course covers procedures performed on the skin, subcutaneous tissue, fascia, and breast over 4 lessons. In lesson 1, the anatomy and function of structures pertinent to these parts of the body is discussed. This paves the way for discussion of procedures and coding guidelines for procedures performed on the skin, subcutaneous tissue, fascia, and breast in lessons 2 and 3 with special emphasis on excisional and non-excisional debridement, breast biopsies, mastectomies, and breast reconstruction. Lesson 4 provides coding practice.
Lesson 1: Anatomy and Function
- Identify the layers of the skin
- Label a diagram of the integumentary system
- Identify PCS Body Systems and their related Body Parts
Lesson 2: Procedures
- Choose the body part for procedures performed on overlapping layers
- Match common skin repair procedures to their PCS root operations
- Select the root operations for excisional and nonexcisional debridement
Lesson 3: Procedures on the Breast & Lymph Nodes
- Determine when to use the root operations Excision and Drainage for breast biopsies
- Select the appropriate root operations for breast implant and tissue expander procedures
- Identify the root operations for sentinel node identification
This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.