The best way to describe documentation requirements and CPT® code reporting for pacemakers and defibrillators is “it’s complicated.” This presentation will attempt to simplify CPT® coding for these complex procedures by presenting the various types of pacemaker and defibrillator technologies along with coding guidelines for the placement, replacement, revision, and removal of procedural components. As an added bonus, we will also address proper reporting of cardiac device credits, use of the KX and SC modifiers, and updated Medicare coverage criteria.
- Differentiate between cardiac pacemakers and implantable defibrillators
- Identify components of cardiac resynchronization devices
- Discuss strategies for coding partial and complete replacement of devices
- Recognize when to apply KX and SC modifiers to pacemaker codes
- Apply Medicare requirements for reporting cardiac device credits
- Identify changes to National Coverage Determination 20.4