CPT Surgery: Spine Surgery Series
Did you know there are four components or procedures to consider when coding spine surgery cases? Spinal surgeries require reporting of multiple CPT codes in order to accurately reflect the combination of procedures that may be required to complete the overall intervention. Therefore, many codes exist to provide a way to report the various interventions for a specific surgical session and may be reported separately when performed.
There are four courses in our CPT Spine Surgery Series that take each of these components and break them down. Once all courses are completed the learner will be able to tackle any operative report and be confident that they are able to select all applicable CPT codes!
CPT Spine Surgery Part 1: Arthrodesis and Grafting
- Describe what arthrodesis is and why it is done
- Name the four main components in coding spine surgery
- Apply the appropriate grafting codes
- Recognize the vertebral anatomy
- Define “Interbody Technique”
- Identify anterior approach anatomy
- Identify the posterior approach anatomy
- Describe the posterior approach codes
CPT Spine Surgery Part 2: Decompression and Corpectomy
- Explain what spinal decompression is and why it is done
- Describe each of the procedures associated with spinal decompression
- Recognize the approach techniques associated with each of the codes
- Identify the intended use of each code
- Explain how to count the levels
CPT Spine Surgery Part 3: Instrumentation and Devices
- Recognize the purpose of instrumentation
- Define terms associated with instrumentation
- Differentiate between instrumentation and fusion
- Differentiate between anterior and posterior
- Assign correct instrumentation code to scenarios
CPT Spine Surgery Part 4: Osteotomy and Deformity Correction
- Summarize the CPT guidelines for osteotomy procedures
- Describe intended use for the osteotomy procedures
- Understand what can and can’t be reported separately
- Describe each of the osteotomy procedures
- Identify spinal anatomy in relation osteotomy
- Recognize terms associated with spinal osteotomy
- Apply the arthrodesis for spinal deformity codes
- Identify what services may be reported in addition to arthrodesis for spinal deformity codes
- Understand intended use for the arthrodesis for spinal deformity codes
** The price of this product includes an AMA Royalty Fee
- Profee coders
- Facility outpatient coders
- Billing professionals
- Coding compliance professionals
- Practice managers
- Clinical documentation improvement professionals
- Coding compliance managers
- Revenue integrity professionals
This program has been approved for 4 continuing education units for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 4 continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.
- The price of this product includes the AMA Royalty Fees.
- Upon purchase, you will have a 6-month subscription to this course. This will allow you the opportunity to complete and review as often as you like for 6 months.
- Courses are accessed through www.haugenacademy.com.
- Visit our FAQ page for technical requirements and additional details.