This two-part course provides the necessary background needed to code procedures on the musculoskeletal system. Part One of this course is comprised of the following lessons: anatomy and function of the musculoskeletal system; musculoskeletal code structure and format; and procedures on the soft tissues.
Lesson 1: Anatomy and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
- Indicate whether specified joints and bones are above or below the diaphragm
- Label a diagram indicating the bones of the foot
- Label a diagram indicating the bones of the hand
- Differentiate between tendons and muscles
Lesson 2: Musculoskeletal Code Structure and Format
- Identify the ten body systems in the Medical and Surgical section where musculoskeletal procedures are located
- Identify qualifiers used for the musculoskeletal system in both the Medical and Surgical and the Anatomical Regions sections
- Determine a course of action when procedures are performed over overlapping layers
Lesson 3: Procedures on the Soft Tissues
- Select the root operation and body part for debridement procedures
- Assign the root operation for an Achilles Tendon Lengthening
- Assign a code for a Muscle Biopsy
AHIMA This program has been approved for 2 continuing education units for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 2 continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.