This course covers the root operations: excision, resection, destruction, occlusion, inspection and the treatments: chemo and radiation therapy and immunotherapy and bone marrow transplants. A thorough explanation of the PCS coding guidelines regarding biopsies and inspections is provided.
Lesson 1: Surgical Treatment of Malignancies
- Differentiate between the root operations Excision and Resection in relation to malignancy coding
- Apply the multiple procedure coding guidelines to neoplasm surgery coding
Lesson 2: Infusion Procedures
- Distinguish immunotherapy from chemotherapy
- Match chemotherapy routes of administration to their corresponding body parts in PCS
- Identify the section and root operation for transfusion and bone marrow transplant procedures
Lesson 3: Radiation Therapy
- Determine when to use codes from the Medical and Surgical section to report brachytherapy-related services
- Identify modality qualifiers for stereotactic radiosurgery
AHIMA This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 1 continuing education hour. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.