The series of CORE KNOWLEDGE courses provide the foundational knowledge to enhance or launch a successful career as a patient access professional.
The Guide to Patient Identification course will enhance your understanding of the complexities and importance of accurately identifying patients. This course will also help you understand the importance and challenges involved in patient identification. We will review typical data entry standards, components of general policies and workflows, and will discuss available technology used to assist with patient identification.
• Patient Access Professionals
• Health Information Management
• Ancillary department staff who select patient records from the MPI
• Subscription: Upon purchase, you will have a 6-month subscription to this module. This will allow you the opportunity to complete and review as often as you like for 6 months.
• Course Access: Courses are accessed at Haugen Academy. You will receive an e-mail from Haugen Academy within 30 minutes after purchase with an introduction to Haugen Academy and your log-in credentials. If you don’t see an e-mail, check your Junk mailbox and if indicated, set-up emails from thehaugengroup.com as safe sender. If you do not receive an email from Haugen Academy, please contact us at 720-476-6301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Contacting us: 720-476-6301 or email email@example.com.
• Demonstrate understanding of the parts of Medicare.
• Recognize and use common Medicare terms.
• Understand and explain patient financial responsibility with original Medicare.
• Understand importance of accurate patient identification
• Identify the structure and organization of the MPI
• Explain the impact of errors on downstream systems
• Describe the various types of technology used to assist in patient identification
• Identify common rules included as part of an organization’s data entry standards
• Indicate the number of patient identifiers that should ideally be matched before a record is selected
• Identify common patient identification errors
• Recognize potential issues that arise because of patient identification errors
• List strategies for avoiding the creation of duplicates or overlays
Courses may be used to apply toward NAHAM and other certification CEU requirements
Recommended operating systems:
Window 7 or higher
Mac OS 10.7 or higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or greater
Google Chrome 2.0 or greater
Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or greater
Apple Safari 2.0 or greater
DSL or better
Recommended internet connection speed 500 or higher kbps
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Flash Player
Current version of Java
Sound: courses are fully narrated, so you’ll want speakers, earbuds, or a headset
Printer: Only needed if you’d like to print your certificate of completion
If you are interested in using the CORE KNOWLEDGE courses as part of your patient access onboarding or training program, contact us.
The courses are a great way to build a solid foundation of knowledge for patient access staff with limited or no prior healthcare experience.
In addition, the courses allow managers to consistently and objectively assess competency within the new hire probationary or introductory period.