This course provides a review of female anatomy and procedures performed on the female reproductive system. Also, included in this course is a review of the structure and format of the Obstetrics section of ICD-10-PCS and detailed instruction on obstetrical procedure coding. This course provides the learner with the tools needed to be able to code cases associated with the female genital system, including pregnancy and delivery.
Lesson 1: Female Reproductive Anatomy
- Label an anatomical image of the female genital tract
- Differentiate between internal and external genitalia
- Identify uterine supporting structures
- Identify normal position for the endometrium
Lesson 2: Procedures on the Female Reproductive System
- Identify common surgical approaches to various gynecological organs
- Select the root operation for tubal ligation procedures
- Identify the body parts for obstetrical laceration repairs of varying degrees
Lesson 3: Structure and Format of the Obstetrics Section
- Define products of conception
- Distinguish between procedures performed on products of conception versus those performed on the pregnant female
- Identify two root operations that are unique to the OB section
Lesson 4: Obstetrical Procedure Coding
- Differentiate between codes for therapeutic abortion and procedures following incomplete abortion
- Identify instrumentation used for delivery cases
- Determine when multiple codes are needed for delivery of multiple gestation deliveries
AHIMA This program has been approved for 2 continuing education units for use in fulfilling the continued education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
AAPC This program has the prior approval of the American Academy for Professional Coders (AAPC) for 2 continuing education hours. Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.