Ever wonder exactly what the charge description master, CDM, or charge master is in a healthcare organization?! What role does it play in the revenue cycle and what impact does it have on every service department within the organization? This course introduces you to what a charge master is and the central role it plays in healthcare organizations.
We cover the basic information that goes into setting up a CDM system and the associated terms. In addition, we will review various charge capture methods and how the CDM impacts various departments. Finally, we will share some best practices for CDM maintenance.
Lesson 1: Charge Description Master (CDM) Purpose and Terminology
- Describe the importance of the charge description master (CDM)
- Identify the typical components contained within the CDM
- Define common CDM terms
Lesson 2: Charge Description Master in Action
- Identify different methods hospitals use for charge entry
- Describe why a good charge reconciliation process is important
- Explain how the CDM impacts departments throughout the organization
Lesson 3: Maintaining the Charge Description Master
- Discuss best practices related to CDM maintenance
- Explain the importance of an internal charge master committee
- Identify CDM related policies and procedures that should be in place at every organization